The Ultimate Guide To Leather Handbags
From handbags to wallets we want your favorite Lulu pieces to stand the test of time. When cared for properly, you'll cherish your leather pieces for many years to come. Here's our guide on how best to store, clean and care for your leather bags and accessories.
Types Of leather
How To Look After Your Leather Bag
Your leather goods need a daily routine, so to keep them looking their best follow our tips below:
- Try not to overfill your handbags and wallets as to not change the shape or causes stress to the seams.
- Wipe away any superficial marks carefully with a soft cloth.
- Try to shelter your leather bag away from water and out of heavy rainfall. If it does get wet, remove any residual water immediately with paper towels, pack loosely with paper and allow the leather to dry naturally.
- Try to avoid keeping your product in direct heat or sunlight for prolonged periods of time as it may cause the colour to fade unevenly.
- Please take extra care using products with dark coloured suede or fabric lining as these materials can cause colour transfer to lighter coloured fabrics or objects.
- If the item has a frame, it should be utilized gently to maintain its original shape and function.
- Please be aware that darker coloured leathers can transfer colour onto lighter coloured fabrics and mark it. Dark Coloured fabric dyes (such as denim) can also transfer onto lighter coloured leathers. Colour transfer in this way is not covered under the Lulu Guinness care policy.
- Keep your items away from embellished or sharp surfaces to avoid scratches.
How To Store Your Bag
You can never have too many! It is important to store your leather items correctly to keep them looking their best. The question is where to store them all.
- When not in use, stuff and store your bag in a cool, dry place and in the protective dust bag and gift box, if provided. This will minimise scratches, snags and pulls that can occur when bags are stored next to other items, as well as ensuring your bag remains clean and dust-free.
- It also helps to wrap any zips or buckles as to not leave imprints on the leather.
- Try to avoid storing your product in direct heat or sunlight as it may cause the colour to fade unevenly and unnecessarily.
How To Clean Your leather Bag
Discover our top cleaning tips to keep your leather bag looking its best.
- Wipe clean with a soft cloth to keep dust away.
- Wipe with a damp cloth .
- When cleaning work in the direction of the grain.
- Do not use clean methods that could be abbrasive.
- If using cleaning products on your leather goods make sure to remove any residue before storing away or using.
- Ensure you dry your leather bags naturally and away from artificial heat.
- Do not submerge leather in water to clean. Blot away any water as soon as possible as to not leave water marks.
- Leather cannot be dry cleaned, machine washed, tumbled dried or ironed.